Thursday, July 7, 2022
International

Goldman, Sojitz to acquire residential properties in Japan

Sojitz

The partners aim to become key players in Japan’s residential sector, which continues to attract global fund managers with its robust demand, low borrowing costs and dependable yields

Investment banking giant Goldman Sachs has teamed with a local partner to acquire $300 million worth of rental residential properties in Japan during 2022 and up to $500 million annually thereafter.

The joint venture between Goldman Sachs Asset Management and Tokyo-based conglomerate Sojitz will seek value-add opportunities by combining the Sojitz New Urban Development unit’s expertise in renovating aged properties with Goldman’s financial resources, Sojitz said Monday in a release.

In the JV, which has been capitalised with an initial $15 million, the alternative investment arm of Manhattan-based Goldman will hold a 75 percent stake and Sojitz the remaining 25 percent. The partners aim to become key players in Japan’s residential sector, which continues to attract global fund managers with its robust demand, low borrowing costs and dependable yields.

The new venture brings the fund management division of Goldman Sachs into a sector that has already become a favourite of some of the world’s largest institutional investors, with M&G Real Estate, Singapore’s Ascott REIT, Hines and AEW all having made major acquisitions in the country’s multifamily sector this year.

Goldman Sachs Asset Management has more than $400 billion in assets under management in alternative asset classes like real estate, infrastructure and private equity. The new joint venture is scheduled to commence operations in mid-2022, subject to the completion of regulatory approvals.

Goldman announced last November that it would invest at least $30 billion in Asian alternative assets over the next five years as part of a revamp of its operations, with co-head of Asia alternative investing Stephanie Hui telling Bloomberg that the bank would double its investment in the continent to about $60 billion.

The asset management division has ploughed $16 billion into more than 1,800 real estate assets in Japan over the last 25 years, and the unit has AUM in excess of $5 billion in the country.

Important:

The articles are for information purposes only and Invest for Property shall not be held responsible for any errors, omissions or inaccuracies within it. Any rules or regulations mentioned within the website are those relevant at the time of publication and may not be the most up-to-date.

Invest for Property does not endorse any of the products or services that appear on it or are linked to it and are not liable for any action that you may take as a result of the content of this website, or losses or damage you may incur doing so.

There is no obligation to purchase anything but, if you decide to do so, you are strongly advised to consult a professional adviser before making any investment decisions.

Please remember that investments of any type may rise or fall and past performance does not guarantee future performance in respect of income or capital growth; you may not get back the amount you invested.

Leave a Reply